Art and drawing forums

Go Back   Art and drawing forums > Art > Art of photography
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2010, 06:47 PM
artist

Jeff Colburn is on a distinguished road

Thanks Zindy.

Yes I love digital photography and I too would like to buy some really nice professional lenses and a high end body (I have a Canon Rebel XSi), but as you say, they are very expensive.

Ssssee you sssoon,
Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Colburn : 06-01-2010 at 07:04 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Zindy is on a distinguished road

Sadly yes. I think even if they took half of the price it would still be too expensive. One of the lenses we would love we have to pay 3000$ for, not really possible unless you have too much money :O

~Love each Day~
Old 06-02-2010, 05:06 AM
artist

Yes, I have my eye on a $5,000 body and $3,000 lens. But I have no idea when I can afford that. However, you, and I, have a chance to win a $5,000 body. Go here for details http://photofocus.com/2010/03/16/win...kiv-body-only/

I already did my Tweet for a chance to win.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Old 06-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Too bad it's on Twitter I don't have one and I don't think I want to start one, am enough places already. Hard to keep up It's some give away though!

~Love each Day~
Old 06-02-2010, 07:42 PM
artist

I know how you feel. There are times I feel like chucking the computer and going back to the simple days of paper and pencil.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Old 06-05-2010, 05:18 AM
artist

Montezuma’s Well is an amazing sinkhole in the Verde Valley. It was home to the Sinagua Indians for a very long time. This is because of the constant supply of water. In fact, over 1,500,000 gallons of 74 degree water flows into the well every day. There are remains of Indian cliff dwellings, large pueblo ruins, an ancient pit house and structures in a cave. The water flows out of one end of the well, through over 150 feet of limestone, and into an irrigation ditch. Some parts of this ditch are over 1,000 years old. The dissolving limestone makes the water a little carbonated, which makes some of the plants on the shore grow larger than usual. The biggest poison ivy plant I have ever seen is near where the water drains out. It actually looks more like a poison ivy tree. Itchy, itchy!

Linda-Ann at the overlook.

Hand held, 1/250 second, f8, ISO 200, 18 mm
Montezuma’s Well as seen from the trail above the Well. You can see some of the Indian ruins in the cliff wall to the left.

Here I am at the outflow of the well, crawling around to get a picture.

Hand held, 1/40 second, f5.6, ISO 400, 32 mm
Here’s the picture I was taking of a plant growing on the edge of the irrigation ditch.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Old 06-09-2010, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Colburn View Post
I know how you feel. There are times I feel like chucking the computer and going back to the simple days of paper and pencil.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Things really were different at the time. Though I have played a bit with computers when I went to high school I still remember when I was a bit younger and the mobile wasn't a must and a computer wasn't normal for everyone to have. I didn't get a computer till the beginning of 2000 and while it brings so many possibilities for you it also makes life different.
It's weird to think about the kids growing up today not knowing life before everyone had a computer and everything were so digitized - what I just said makes me sound old doesn't

Beautiful place you did your latest shooting in, I still envy your locations very much.

~Love each Day~
Old 06-09-2010, 06:24 PM
artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zindy View Post
Beautiful place you did your latest shooting in, I still envy your locations very much.
Thanks Zindy.

Yes, the recent past was a very different place. When I graduated from college (1977) there were no personal computers. If you wanted information, you went to the library or called some expert in the field. When I was about 10 we had the first color TV on our street. As a small child I remember sitting on my father's shoulders one night in our backyard and watching Sputnik fly across the sky.

It was a simpler time, and while some things were more difficult the overall pace of life was slower and more relaxed. Today, everyone seems to be in a rush. We use our modern time-saving tools to do more than ever before, so instead of having more leisure time we have less. We are a strange species.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Old 06-22-2010, 05:33 PM
artist

It's been a busy and exciting few days. On Thursday I talked with the head of the Jerome Historical Society about putting some of my photographs in their gallery space. On Friday he informed me that he wanted to put my work up in the gallery, in less than two weeks. My initial thought was, "Wow, that's fantastic." My second thought was, "Wow, I have A LOT of stuff to do."

Before I did any ordering, I had to research dozens of companies to find the products I wanted, at a good price. Then I spent the next four days ordering frames, mats, framing and display materials, bags for matted prints and so much more. Everything has been ordered, and I've made my credit card company very happy. It was actually a lot of fun. Kind of like treasure hunting.

The frames and mats should arrive 1-2 days before they need to be installed, so I expect a frenzy of matting and framing to meet the deadline.

This will be my first gallery presence, and I'm really looking forward to the whole experience. So if you find yourself in Jerome, Arizona, on or after July 1st, head on over to the New State Motor Building (across from Grapes Restaurant) and take a look at my photographs. I hope to see you there.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Old 07-03-2010, 01:13 AM
artist

Wow, a week and a half to find vendors, order frames, mats, backing, Plexiglas; create price tags, info stickers for the back of the prints, an info sheet on caring for Plexiglas, a bio and assemble everything. But it's finally done and my prints are hung.

This is all taking place in the New State Motor Building (across from Grapes Restaurant and down the stairs), a garage built in 1918. The Jerome Historical Society bought it and turned it into an artist's coop. Now there's three photographers, a couple of painters, a sculptor, a jeweler, a gift shop, and most importantly, public bathrooms. If that doesn't pull in the tourist crowd, nothing will.

Here are some photos I took right after the pictures were hung. Now it's back to matting 11 prints for my art bin. The art walk is tomorrow and I want to have plenty of photos on hand.

Maybe I'll see you there.

Have Fun,
Jeff