Art and drawing forums

Go Back   Art and drawing forums > Art > Artists Help
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Zindy is on a distinguished road
Default Venturing into digital - advice

I'm kind of at a point of my life where I want to change things, hopefully for the better. I wish to get into doing digital, finally. I've always loved traditional artwork and I want to keep doing that as it's where my heart is. I do however feel like expanding and trying something new. I think it will be helpful for me to be able to draw a bit in digital. Even if it's just basic things to start with it will be good for me to have a general knowlegde.

I've been doing so many portraits past years I would love to be able to do something "more", something different.

My question is, where do you start?
I remember we had a thread about tablets last year but I assume there is new ones out and probably even better ones.
Can you advice me on what to get. My budget is not super high so I am looking into something around 400-500$.

I'd also love to know of any helpful videos on how to get started drawing digital. Like really basic stuff on how you use the tools, how you apply the shading etc.
I have a pretty good knowlegde of photoshop as I've been using it for designs, scanning etc for about 12 years now.

I'll appreciate any help and advice you can give me.

~Love each Day~
Old 04-02-2012, 05:29 PM
artist

Moldova is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Moldova Send a message via Skype™ to Moldova

Well first off, I am happy to hear you want to get into digital! The fact that you so are so expertly skilled at traditional work will only benefit you with doing digital pieces!

There are new tablets out and considering I bought mine for $80, your budget will ensure you get something good!

I would recommend a tablet by the Wacom brand. I personally have a Wacom Bamboo Fun and while it did the job for awhile, it doesn't work much at all.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Intuos family (from Wacom.) http://wacom.com/en/Products/Intuos/Medium.aspx

The Intuos tablets are professional and within your price range. When I get the money, I plan to upgrade to an Intuos.

As for the actual painting, I learned a lot from tutorials on Deviant Art. I actually have a Favourites folder with all tutorials I've found useful. You can see them here:

http://leovagirl.deviantart.com/favourites/44101007

Having started with digital first, several people have told me they find it more difficult because there is more than one way to go about a drawing. That is true, but I find the many options to be an advantage. It allows me to customize my routine.

One thing about digital painting is to work in the same way you would traditionally paint which is with layers of color. Always start with your basic shapes and colors and render from there. I've learned that if I'm doing people, do the background first and work up.

Also when I've finished a painting, I save mine as a .png (highest quality image!) and then I add a bunch of curve adjustment layers, levels, contrast and it makes such a difference! I find it easier to bump up the color and all when it's all done.

Lastly, the same rules about not using straight black and white also apply to dp, MOST of the time. It's better to create shadows with dark complementary colors and for highlights, a very bright yellow/purple/blue/green is better than white. However, occasionally if I need to make something almost invisible with darkness, I'll use black with a low opacity.

That's all I can think of for now. I'm super excited to see how you do!
Old 04-04-2012, 12:51 PM
Posting 24/7

jeanine is on a distinguished road

I have a Intuos 4 Wacom board and I love it. https://www.digitec.ch/Startseite.aspx Not that expensive either aroung 300$.

Most basic things that helped me a lot at the start:
-In the Brush menu choose Other Dynamics and set the opacity to pen pressure.
In the Tablet driver options you can choose how sensitive the pen is to pressure. I set mine between medium and hard, this way you can paint in very low opacity and get smoth shading.
- If you use the smudge tool, do so with a textured or scattered brush.
- In the internet, if you ask someone what brushes to use, most answer: "If your any good you can do everthing with a standart round hard edged brush." While that may be true to some point it is also timeconsuming and you'll miss out on the fun of experimenting with brushes. I love these by algenpfleger: http://algenpfleger.deviantart.com/g...97913#/d3im99g

Looking forward to seeing you digital work!
Old 04-04-2012, 06:56 PM
novice

Silhouette-Blade is on a distinguished road

what about the tablet size? I know that small are less acurate...but larger are very expensive...which size is enough to feel like i draw on a paper?
Old 04-07-2012, 02:49 PM
artist

Moldova is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Moldova Send a message via Skype™ to Moldova

I have a small tablet and I haven't had a problem with accuracy -- you can calibrate it so you hit the right point each time.
To be safe, though, Wacom makes medium sized ones.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Posting 24/7

jeanine is on a distinguished road

oh I forgot to write about the size! mine is A5 and it works fine with my 21.5 inch screen. Before I had a A6, too small for my taste.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:12 PM
Too much free time! Too much free time!

Cold Shiva is on a distinguished road

Maria made some nice points there.

I know a friend of mine on DA. He uses a wacom tablet with a pen and just "draws" as he draws. His works are awesome and some look even traditional!

http://digitalhypergfx.deviantart.com/

Maybe drop him a note; he is very helpful.

Art isn't always visual.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Zindy is on a distinguished road

I actually were able to buy a Wacom Intuos 5 Large late July - finally. I have only used it a tiny bit so far but I can see myself loving it when I really get into it. I want to wait till Summer is over and the long dark days begin, I am usually better at devoting myself to new stuff around that time when nature and the sea doesn't call me

I am in the process of drawing my classic profile view girl, to get me started as it's something I am rather comfortable with and can draw from my mind. I decided to only use a regular photoshop brush with soft edge to begin with to test how good I am with drawing with no extra brushes etc. I do think it will be fun to try as I get more into it later.
I'll be showing my first digital drawing maybe next month if all goes well

~Love each Day~